Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Flats Challenge day 3: folds (and adorable newborn photos)

Today is day 3 of the 3rd annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge! This challenge is hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  This is my 3rd year doing the flats challenge.  The idea is to use flat diapers and handwash them for one week. 

 Why Flats? Because they cheap, and easy to wash.  I really like flats, and I always say (well, always since the first flats challenge 2 years ago) that I wish i had known about them when i began my cloth diaper journey. I tried prefolds first, and didn't like the way they fit my then 15 month old -- but if i had tried flats, i could have tried a different fold and they would have worked! Back then, i really didn't want to spend a lot of money on cloth, so i know i would have stuck with it.  (not that i want to spend a lot now... its just so easily justifiable)

So, I tried flats when Bently was just a few days old, they were so bulky, even on this 8lb baby -- they fit ok before his umbilical cord fell off, but they were irritating it and causing bleeding so I used disposables for a few days. Here was our first attempt at flats on a newborn. 
origami fold, 2 days old and about 8lbs

origami fold with thirsties duo cover (2 days, 8lbs)
 
awwwww.... so tiny!

not a flat. this is a one size fuzzibunz pocket on my adorable tiny 1 week old

origami fold with thirsties duo cover (3 mo, 15ish pounds)

origami fold (same diaper and cover as seen on the newborn above)
 For this challenge, i have learned and been using two new-to-me folds.  The Jo fold, which is incredibly trim.  And the airplane fold, which is amazing for a boy with all sorts of layers up front.

jo fold - flour sac towel
jo fold in cover



airplane fold

 I am lucky to have such a cooperative little guy - it was so much harder the first time around learning to use flats with a squirmy 8 month old! 

That is really all I've got for today, nothing ground breaking, just diapers.



















1 comment:

  1. He's adorable! my baby just turned 1. I want a newborn again!

    ReplyDelete