So, what did i do to prepare this year? Well..... umm..... not much. Having done the challenge before, I already had EVERYTHING I could possibly need. The night before the challenge, all i had to dig out was a 5 gallon bucket and my gloves because I have already been using my flats! Normally, I use pockets while we are out, and flats at home and a disposable at night (because the pockets were leaking).
So here are my supplies:
|Covers... most of them|
- One Baby (3 and a half months old)
- One 5 gallon bucket, to use as a wet pail (free, I am using an old cat-litter bucket)
- Several covers, I lost count (my little guy is between sizes so a lot fits him) only one of these covers is new to this baby - about half of them were used for 2 other babies. All were purchased on sale, used, as seconds, and one was a gift.
|Some of the flats: back to front, Target, Sam's, and Ikea|
- 2 thirsties size small
- 2 thirsties duo size 1
- 1 thirsties duo size 2 (night time)
- 1 econobum
- 2 blueberry coveralls
- 1 bumpkins cover
- 1 bummis super brite size small
- 1 grovia shell
- 12 target flour sac towels, 30"x30" (purchased 2 years ago for $1 each)
- 9 Sam's Club flour sac towels, 36"x29" (purchased last year for a little less than $1 each)
- 6 Ikea burp cloths 28"x28" (purchased last fall for $1.50 each)
- One pair of hot pink gloves (no idea where these came from)
- fleece liners (for overnight) - were purchased for my 5 yr old
- 2 pairs of boingos - (one pair for last year's challenge, one purchased for this baby, about $4 each pair)
- 2 snappis (purchased at a silent auction for about $1)
Ok, I'll admit, I have enough stuff for twins. But my baby does go through 12+ flats a day and if he had a poopy day, we'd likely go through several covers.
I'm not going to add this up because, it doesn't mean anything. I got everything together for a friend to use flats last summer and I spent about $50. This is nothing compared to disposables!
If I lost all my cloth diapers in a disaster or house fire or something - I would replace them with ikea burp cloths, a few flour sac towels (from both sam's and target for size variation). I would probably fill my cover needs with thirsties duo covers - unless I was working in a tight budget and then I would use a combination of a couple thirsties and econobum as back up. -- I would not just replace my flats, I would replace ALL the diapers with flats. I love my pockets, and hemp and all of that, but the simplicity of flats is very appealing, they also work.
|Jo fold in a Sam's flour sac towel - aka. adorable and functional|