Friday, May 19, 2017

Flats & Handwashing Challenge 2017: day 5

It is time for the 7th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge, this year we have a new host! Check out Cloth Diaper Revival! This annual event aims to raise awareness about diaper need and cloth diapers as a solution. Click here for more info on the #flatschallenge. 

Happy Birthday to ME! 

There, now that that is out of the way.  Blogging has once again become more of a challenge than the challenge.   Partly cause I just don't have time and partly because i can't keep saying the same things over and over.  I guess that is a sign that i've been doing this too long!  Folds, I still only know the same folds i knew for the last 7 years, mainly using kite fold.  there, done.  Hand washing, still using basically the same method i have the last few years.   A little different cause i'm in a different house.  But I still wash in a deep sink, with gloves, utilizing the help of my kids.   

My first #flatschallenge baby is now my wash helper .. awww.  
So now I'm going to talk about my 'cheats' this year.. 1st.  I'm using disposables at night (one per night)- I've done flats overnight, i've used other kinds of cloth overnight - i've used flats full time overnight on an bedwetting child.  So, I'm good.  I also threw on a disposable when we were headed to the ER for stitches tuesday night! My BABY (18 mo) fell and busted his lip open, 2 stitches.  That ended up serving as our overnight diaper since he wore it all night so, doesn't even count, right?  I'll also mention that the rules say any night time diaper, they don't say 'no disposables.' This isn't the first year i've interpreted the rules this way ...   

Since I know i may not get around to blogging the 'final thoughts' topic (I'm assuming that is the last topic.. haven't checked) One big thing that has surprised me this time around is how easy it has been to hand wash.   Since we moved last fall and I now have a LONG list of daily chores that i haven't had in the past (feed water animals, large garden, plus endless projects -including surprise projects, for example, we had to build a fence last night when we discovered deer had been eating our new cherry trees)  Part of the reason it has been easier is because i'm cloth diapering an 18 mo old who only needs 4-5 diapers a day, tops.  
Yesterday I skipped washing cause i only had 4 diapers.  I will wash when i have 5.. washing 5 diapers doesn't take long at all.  In 2013 and 2015 when i did the challenge with a younger baby I was washing around 10-12 diapers a day.  I could realistically be only hand washing every 2-3 days with a toddler.  Hand washing diapers also seems like less of a big deal since Ive been hand washing dishes full time for 7 people for over 6 months now.  I miss my dishwasher SO MUCH.  If we had to hand wash all our laundry... eh. it would suck, but at least i'd know how.   Is this realistic for everyone? probably not.  But, it is doable. 



No comments:

Post a Comment