Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 5: Flat Folds

WOW. This week is FLYING BY!!

Today is the 5th(!) day of the 4th annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  During the challenge, moms all over the country sign up to use flat cloth diapers AND hand wash them.  The purpose of the challenge is to raise awareness and spread the word that cloth diapers are a viable option for families struggling to afford clean diapers for their babies, even for those who may not have access to a washer and dryer.

The topic for the day is flat folds.  Last year I used all kinds of folds on my then 3 month old.  This year, I'm pretty limited just by lack of time and a SUPER wiggly squirmy baby. 

my 2 favorites are the good old fashioned kite fold (pictured below) and pad fold. 




That is a kite fold done with a flannel receiving blanket with boingos to hold it closed - I've found that Boingos work better on flannel than snappis do.  Pins are another option but would be challenging (and dangerous) with the wiggly squirmy baby.  I prefer a double gusset cover over this fold, like a Thirsties or a Blueberry.

For the pad fold, I prefer to use a narrower cover, like a Grovia shell.  


 
If you are going to use 'fancy' diaper folds - ideally folding a whole basket ahead of time is easier at diaper changes.  But i haven't done any of that lately (I use flats most of the time, even outside of the challenge) I have been grabbing my diaper and folding it off to the side with one hand while holding my squirmy baby down with the other hand.  I'm pretty fast these days, sometimes he is still faster.. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment