Friday, May 4, 2012

Garden - its May but it's June!

The garden is getting exciting! It's strange how it is both normal and ahead of schedule due to this strange summer-like spring weather - We've got nearly all our plants in - tomatoes, squash, zucchini, radishes, carrots, lettuce, spinach, peas, green beans, okra, and straw berries! I think all we have left to add is basil and a few sunflowers. I've had to weed the carrots near constantly because of crab grass and Bermuda grass coming back from the roots from last year and from seed - i need to keep up with it or our carrots will get stuck in the roots (happened last year) - I've never grown a lot of this stuff, and we usually grow peppers - this year we decided to grow more things we actually eat! (the newbies are okra, peas, beans & radishes - though I'll admit I have no intention of eating radishes I'm growing those because I read that they help to keep some bugs away) tomorrow we're going to have to get out the hose instead of they trusty 2 gal watering can..(I'm up to 6-7 trips to carry water) I just hope we can stay ahead of the bugs this year - last year we were doing alright but the july heat wave and drought got us - this year with the mild winter in afraid the bugs may be more than we can handle - so far those factors combined ruined our strawberry patch and something was really feasting on the radish leaves when they were young- our lettuce has done fine and the carrots looks great at this point so maybe it will be ok..

No comments:

Post a Comment