Friday, February 17, 2012

Home - (aka. hit the ground running)

 

Celebrating our homecoming with some festive muffins.. this recipewith added sprinkles on top and quinoa flakes inside - They are a little more dense than without the quinoa, but i like them (and the kids LOVE them).


I also made some gluten free dairy free bread, it is good, but i'm still working on finding the perfect GF DF bread. 








you start by proofing the yeast..  
2 1/4 teaspoons bakers yeast in 1 1/4 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar (for the yeasties to eat)  - set aside 

Dry Ingredients:
2/3 cup Rice flour
1/3 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup Millet Flour
1 cup potato starch***
2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum)
1/ 1/4 teaspoons salt
Wet Ingredients: 

2 beaten large eggs
yeast & water mixture
4 tbs olive oil (though i found it works fine without it ha ha) 
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients - this will make a thick batter, not a traditional bread dough! then pour the batter into a loaf pan (i used a 8.5 x 4.5 in) let rise for 20-40 mins in a warm place (i put it in my oven with the light on)  when the bread is about 1 in from the top of the pan pre-heat the oven to 350 and then bake it for about 45 mins. If it starts to get too brown on top cover it with a piece of foil.

This recipe has been slightly adapted from this one.  I decided to type up the version i used for reference because it was hard to use that blog entry with all the extra stuff between the recipe and the non-bread-machine instructions. This recipe makes really pretty bread that makes great sandwiches and toast.  I added flax and sunflower seeds to the top to make it prettier.  sprinkles would have been a bit much. 


***Update on the bread recipe! 

I hated using so much potato starch so i changed it to 1/2 cup potato starch and an extra 1/2 cup rice flour (instead of 1 cup potato starch) and it worked and tasted great! by the way, substituting other starches (corn or tapioca) did not work out so well.. potato starch is better for this recipe!  


In other news, I am mostly done unpacking and have done a bazillion loads of laundry.  I just need to get my 'computer bag' and the kids 'activity bag' unpacked and clear off the junk that accumulated on the dining room table and kitchen counter and I'l be all caught up!  Well, after i bake some more muffins (we've eaten over half of yesterday's) for the freezer and some corn muffins.  Then I'd like to bake some GFDF cookies and biscuits for the freezer.  Then more granola bars both the kid version and the adult version.  I make a nut free, softer more cookie like granola bar for Annie (17 mo today!), and Jamie can't handle a lot of flax so I'm going to make a special version for him too.  I'll post those recipes when i get to them. I also REALLY want to try coconut milk yogurt ASAP...Now its off to the store to restock my pantry and buy Jamie sheets for his new big-boy mattress.  Next weekend I will have 2 groups meeting at my house so after all this freezer-baking I am going to have to get things sparkling clean and make snacks for those meetings.   Oh yeah, and I have to prep for one of those meetings too ..



No comments:

Post a Comment